The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchtape View Post
I'm not on much anymore but it's hilarious to see these Zager threads pop up... We're definitely not big on the search function... maybe if we could search more than once every 20sec
Heck, I propose that you search for posts telling people to search.

Or maybe we can just stop the forum entirely and replace it with a more robust search function for the archives. No need for anyone to interact, after all, or be newly curious, or wonder if there are any fresh opinions.

Oh, I forgot. There's Harmony Central for that.

Actually, compared to "Martin vs. Taylor vs. Ovation vs. Takamine vs. Larrivee vs. composite vs. single luthier build vs. etc. etc." or "what strings do you like" or "I need a great guitar for under 50" the Zager threads are pretty sparse.

And I'll add my opinion. I've never played a "Zagerized" guitar, but people I respect have, and they were unimpressed unanimously... described from a simple set up to wholly unplayable.

Worry less about the guitars you want. Play the guitar you have more.
The answer will come, and it will not be what you expect.

A guitar is a tool, and a friend. But it is not the answer.

It is the beginning.

Current Guitars:

Taylor 716C Modified
Voyage-Air VAOM-04

CD: The Bayleys: From The Inside
CDBaby
Amazon
Also available from iTunes

Old 09-04-2008, 10:00 AM

I for 1 appreciate this thread. Being a novice acoustic player (who is not big on search functions) any info I can get about acoustic guitars is valuable to me.

I stumbled upon the Zager site last week and I was totally sucked in. These guitars seemed too good to be true. I was so impressed that I even bookmarked the site; which you gotta admit is pretty impressive.

Not to worry. I would never upgrade my current guitar without consulting my AGF brethrend first.

Thanks for this forum and the most recent Zager thread. You could have prevented someone fron making a regrettable mistake
Old 09-04-2008, 10:14 AM

You see there, people?? My sarcasm MIGHT have just saved our brother Frank from making a huge mistake. I knew that one day my sarcasm would pay off and now...oh yes, now...I feel I have finally seen it pay off.

Seriously though, I'm glad that Frank was spared a difficult lesson. I do apologize to everyone that gained one more grey hair because I posted a Zager thread without searching.

Thanks for the backup, Wade.

Saville OM - Adi/EIR
Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM

I find these Zager discussions very interesting. I was a typical "customer" who fell for the deceptive advertising and especially the deceptive "reviews." I knew very little about the ins and outs and what to look for and what to avoid.

So late one night, I actually ordered the ZAD-80. I hated it. It sounded like crap even to my untrained ears. But just as promised, they gave me a full no-hassle refund. Interestingly, the box it came in had been used about three other times because they just covered over the old addresses. So obviously they get plenty of returns.

But all turned out well. Eventually my search for the truth brought me to these guitar forums where I've learned a ton. And I learned about all of the options out there in my price range. I am so thankful I purchased a Larrivee L-03 from Notable Guitars for actually $100 less than the Zager including the hard shell case. I just could not be happier. I play it probably an hour a day or more.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm glad to hear that, Phil. I just picked up an L-03 last night and am hoping to have the positive experience you have had with yours.

Saville OM - Adi/EIR
Old 09-04-2008, 11:07 AM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQPhil View Post
.............I am so thankful I purchased a Larrivee L-03 from Notable Guitars for actually $100 less than the Zager including the hard shell case........
man that makes me slightly angry...

glad you were able to find a much better value!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
...I am so thankful I purchased a Larrivee L-03 from Notable Guitars for actually $100 less than the Zager including the hard shell case. I just could not be happier. I play it probably an hour a day or more.
Jason at Notable Guitars is a great guy to deal with....and Larrivee makes quality guitars.
Congrats!!

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Bang for the Buck Guitars

Quote:
I find these Zager discussions very interesting. I was a typical "customer" who fell for the deceptive advertising and especially the deceptive "reviews." I knew very little about the ins and outs and what to look for and what to avoid.

So late one night, I actually ordered the ZAD-80. I hated it. It sounded like crap even to my untrained ears. But just as promised, they gave me a full no-hassle refund. Interestingly, the box it came in had been used about three other times because they just covered over the old addresses. So obviously they get plenty of returns.

But all turned out well. Eventually my search for the truth brought me to these guitar forums where I've learned a ton. And I learned about all of the options out there in my price range. I am so thankful I purchased a Larrivee L-03 from Notable Guitars for actually $100 less than the Zager including the hard shell case. I just could not be happier. I play it probably an hour a day or more.

here's a question, can you comment briefly on the difference in playability between the zager and the larrivee?
Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpreso View Post
can you comment briefly on the difference in playability between the zager and the larrivee?
Larrivee = good!
Zager = Not!

“Blessed are the poor in spirit, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven.—Matthew 5:3 (NKJV)
Old 09-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banpreso View Post
here's a question, can you comment briefly on the difference in playability between the zager and the larrivee?
"Playability" is kind of vague term. And I'll be the first to admit that I am certainly no expert. I think it's been said over and over what people don't like about Zager and what they do like about Larrivee. But I'll give it a try.

The Zager looks very nice. But when I played it, it just sounded very flat. I got a lot of buzzing. And my biggest disappointment was that despite the hype, I found it no EZier to play. I had originally bought it hoping that my kids would find it easier to play and be inspired to learn, but they did not.

The Larrivee in comparison is actually very simple in appearance. But it has an incredible richness and resonance in its tone. When I play it, the sound that it produces just melts my heart. When I get home from work now, I'm just drawn to pick up my Larrivee and start playing. It just inspires me to practice and learn to play better. What I also love about the 03 Series is that even though it is their lowest priced model, I feel like I am getting the workmanship of their much more expensive guitars.

I could probably go and on. But to sum it up, comparing the two is like comparing ground chuck meat to a good quality steak.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:

Maybe my address was on that box..I sent a ZAD80 back a long time ago. My Zager custom came with a easy play string height of 5/32in a saddle that didn't fit in the bridge. It was loose and the ZAD had little volume. They took it back but they pouted about it...said I could lower the action by turning the truss rod 1 turn..Ever since that day I've played Martins..thanks Zager's
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Actually, that's how i stumbled upon the Zager site. I've been playing every acoustic I could get my hands on lately and I find myself partial to Martins. Zager brags that they use only the best so they use Martins. What is a Sigma? Is that like Gibsons version of Epiphone?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:23 PM

I wonder if Zagerizing an Esteban would be an improvement?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:07 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank H View Post
Actually, that's how i stumbled upon the Zager site. I've been playing every acoustic I could get my hands on lately and I find myself partial to Martins. Zager brags that they use only the best so they use Martins. What is a Sigma? Is that like Gibsons version of Epiphone?
Worse. Especially after Zager gets hold of them.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank H View Post
I've read a lot about what a Sigma Martin is on this forum and others. The way I understand it is that basically it is a Martin in name only. It otherwise shares very little with the higher end Martins.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion