The Acoustic Guitar Forum  

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:15 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A027298 View Post
So I pulled another low E from a second set of sunbeams that I had and this time I tried not cutting the string first, but instead I fed the string through the tuner then pulled it back to where I would get the correct amount of wraps on the post, then tuned it up and cut the excess off. Sounded great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A027298 View Post
So I start playing and notice some black specs on the high E and B strings. I slide my fingers over them and you can feel them. Like little bumps. I tried picking them off but they were on there pretty good. I'm sending the strings back to Mike at Strings and Beyond so he can take a look at them. At this point I don't know what to think. The first set I ever bought were fine and I really liked the tone on my guitar, but since then I've had nothing but trouble. Anyone else had similar problems or just me? Tom
First I would say that you're not following instructions is not DR's fault. You need to install round core strings per the instructions and with the care stated in the instructions. I've noticed that all brands of round core strings can take some hours sitting on the guitar at tension until the strings seem balanced. My guess is because the windings more over the core easily.

Second would be a suggestion to contact DR. I had a set of Rare that had a dud string (was put on correctly) and they shipped a replacement right away.

Good luck.

Last edited by imwjl; 07-27-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 1,043
Default And speaking of DR Sunbeams...

...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM
lofapco lofapco is offline
Happily Guitarded!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis Area
Posts: 6,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne
Hi Jayne...

I think your fine staying with 12's. You will likely just feel the difference. I play in DADGAD, Drop D, Open G among others and tried all of them yesterday on my LG1. They all sounded great with 12's. I may try a set of 13's on my Advanced Jumbo soon as I think they will feel more like 12's when playing but still drive the top a bit more on the Dread size guitars.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2009, 12:23 PM
jaymarsch jaymarsch is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Posts: 1,043
Default

Thanks, Paul!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Glennwillow Glennwillow is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Coastal Washington State
Posts: 19,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
...I may try a set of 13's on my Advanced Jumbo soon as I think they will feel more like 12's when playing but still drive the top a bit more on the Dread size guitars.
Paul,

I have been using the DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" (13's) strings on my Gibson AJ and they sound very good. I originally used light gauge, which sounded OK, but the heavier Sunbeams really do sound outstanding on this guitar. Really brought it to life. To me, they feel heavier than light gauge strings but they are quite a bit easier than the typical medium string set.

Regards, Glenn
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-27-2009, 02:38 PM
lofapco lofapco is offline
Happily Guitarded!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Minneapolis Area
Posts: 6,003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Paul,

I have been using the DR Sunbeam "medium-heavy" (13's) strings on my Gibson AJ and they sound very good. I originally used light gauge, which sounded OK, but the heavier Sunbeams really do sound outstanding on this guitar. Really brought it to life. To me, they feel heavier than light gauge strings but they are quite a bit easier than the typical medium string set.

Regards, Glenn
Thanks for the note Glenn.. I just picked up a pack of Elixir PB Mediums (13's) over the weekend to try on the AJ, (Been using 12's since I got it a couple years ago) but next set I may give the DR 13's a shot since I am really enjoying the DR Rare 12's on my LG1.
__________________
Paul
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
imwjl imwjl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
...not that I am trying to hijack the thread, but if anyone who uses them can also clarify something about the guages, I would be grateful. I usually use standard light strings (12-54) and I play in some dropped tunings (CGCGCD). If I wanted to try out the DRs, would I need to get a higher guage in the DR Sunbeams to have the right tension? I have heard that they are different than the usual guage strings but is that just in feel or tension as well?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Jayne
I asked DR customer service when I first saw the descriptions on packages. My response from DR was to buy by the diameter of the strings for tension that would be comparable to other brands.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
EucalyptusMint EucalyptusMint is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 59
Default

Quick question,
the packaging says to wind the strings slowly. How slow is slowly? Should I wind them by hand then?
When I tried them (medium-heavy) the bass response seemed dead, so I think I might have messed up somehow.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Loading

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=